It's been a busy year for Ottumwa's new superintendent.
Nicole Kooiker recently shared some highlights of changes that have been made or are planned for the upcoming school year at the May 22 Board of Education meeting.
Her list included:
- A technology audit will result in needed improvements to the district's technology infrastructure
- Teachers will receive professional development every Friday during the 2017-18 school year
- All middle school students will be on the same schedule
- 20 minutes have been added to the instructional day
- Three guidance counselors will serve Ottumwa High School beginning in 2017-18
- Three health associates will provide support in buildings not covered with a full-time nurse beginning in 2017-18
- A curriculum leader will be assigned to every K-12 building to help guide instruction
- A new literacy resource has been purchased for elementary and middle schools in Ottumwa
- Band, orchestra, and chorus have been added to the instructional day at Evans
- The special education delivery model has modified
- A new mission, vision, and core beliefs are the result of a strategic planning process