The Ottumwa Board of Education approved the start date for the 2018-19 school year at Monday night's meeting. The first day of classes in the district will be Thursday, August 23, 2018. This is the first allowable date allowed by Iowa law. In 2015, then Governor Branstad signed into law that all Iowa school districts begin classes no earlier than August 23.
In other business, the board:
- gave Superintendent Kooiker permission to move forward in seeking a possible buyer for the former Agassiz Elementary, located at 608 E. Williams
- heard an update on the Bulldog Academy Program
- approved John Berg as Board Secretary/Treasurer
- approved the first readings of two policies regarding school-owned vehicles and use
- approved the first reading of the revised Student Activities Fund board policy
- approved the varsity baseball team to play at Busch Stadium in St. Louis on June 30.