As a school counselor, my primary responsibility is to promote the academic, career, and social/emotional development of all students. I look forward to offering support to elementary students, staff, families, and our community.
The Ottumwa Schools’ elementary counseling program strives to meet the needs of all students in our schools through a variety of ways, including:
- Working with all students to encourage a safe school climate of trust and respect.
- Delivering classroom lessons that align with our standards.
- Facilitating small groups.
- Meeting individually with students to do brief, solution-focused counseling.
- Helping students who struggle making positive behavior choices.
- Working with parents/guardians, all school staff, and with the community.
- Maintaining confidentiality of students and their families unless there is a need to know or a safety concern.
- Providing education and information about social/emotional needs.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you feel there is anything I should know that would help your student. I look forward to working with all families!
All the best,
Cindy Schlegel, Douma
Brandi Brown, Eisenhower
Shellie Stevens, Horace Mann
Jim Schlarbaum, James
Holly VanDeKieft, Liberty 2-3
Sydney Schneckloth, Liberty 4-5
Eric Gross, Wilson