Seal of Biliteracy
Ottumwa students now have the opportunity to earn a Seal of Biliteracy while in high school.
The award recognizes student proficiency in two or more languages, one of which is English, by high school graduation. According to the Iowa Department of Education, high School graduates who function in two or more languages are equipped to succeed in college, careers, and a diverse 21st century society. The Seal of Biliteracy:
- Values language as an asset
- Promotes language diversity & cultural identity
- Builds 21st-century skills that will benefit students in the global society
- Distinguishes applicants for employers, universities, and scholarship providers
- Affirms native or heritage languages
- Honors multiple cultures and languages in the Ottumwa community
To be eligible, students must first meet at least one established English language proficiency test:
- Must score proficient or advanced on the Iowa Statewide Assessment of Student Progress (ISASP) English Language Arts
- Score 18 or above on the English section of the ACT
- Earn a summative proficiency level of 3-5 on the ELPA21
- SAT score of 470 in English
- Total score 80, no part score under 17 on the TOEFL.
Ottumwa Schools will offer Standards Based Measurement of Proficiency (STAMP) in the following languages: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Spanish, and Portuguese. The required STAMP score is Intermediate-Mid (5) in all categories.