COVID-19 Letter to Parents
Operating schools during a pandemic continues to present many challenges. If you were directed to this web page, someone associated with your child's school has tested positive for COVID -19. The text message you received has more specific information. While wanting to keep our families informed, we also have to balance confidentiality of our students and staff members in regards to this health issue. Following guidance from the CDC and Iowa Department of Public Health, anyone who tests positive will be in isolation for 10 days.
We continue to work closely with Wapello County Public Health, who has been contacted and will begin work on contact tracing. If there are concerns about exposure to your child, public health will contact you.
Your school will remain open and classes will operate as normal. All COVID-related safety procedures will be followed, including requiring face coverings and social distancing whenever possible. Our custodial staff will deep clean and sanitize classrooms and high touch areas each day. We will continue to stress the importance of handwashing.
A reminder that the district updates COVID information daily on our website at ottumwaschools.com/updates.
The Centers for Disease Control recommends the following best practices to help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water.
- Practice social distancing (6 feet away as much as possible).
- Wear a face covering.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces every day. High touch surfaces include counters, tabletops, doorknobs, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets, and bedside tables.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Our greatest priority is the safety of our students, staff, and community members. It is important to remember that children are greatly influenced by the reactions of adults when facing difficult circumstances. I encourage everyone to remain calm and to be empathetic and respectful to those affected.
We are grateful for the opportunity to serve you and your family, especially as we face this challenging situation together. We continue to ask for your support of the Ottumwa Community School District by stressing the importance of the COVID-19 mitigation procedures in place so that we may keep our students and staff safe.