Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
When can I register my student?
Parents can register kindergarten students starting July 1. All other students may register anytime after July 12 through August 13.
Where do I go to register a new student?
If you are a brand new parent to the Ottumwa School District, please follow the step-by-step guidelines under ‘New Student’ on our school registration website page.
Where do I go to register a returning student?
If you are a parent of returning student(s) in the Ottumwa School District, please follow the step-by-step guidelines under ‘Returning Students’ on our school registration website page. Or, you can log right into your PowerSchool Parent Portal and click on the “Forms” link in the left menu bar.
I already have students in the district and want to register an additional student. Where do I go?
Follow the step-by-step guidelines under “New Student” on the school registration website page.
What if I don’t remember my PowerSchool Parent Portal username or password?
Secretaries will be available at all school buildings beginning August 4 to assist or email [email protected] during the registration window.
How do I register my student if I don’t have access to a computer?
Kiosk computer stations will be available in the office of each school building. A parent will be able to register all of their students from any single school building. An email address is not required for registration, but an email is required to have a PowerSchool Parent Portal account.
It is possible to access your PowerSchool parent account using the web browser on your phone. To access the Forms link, click on the Applications arrow in the upper right corner, then click on Forms. Online registration is not available using the mobile app.
Registration is asking me to upload a proof of address, my child’s birth certificate and immunization records. What if I don’t have a scanner?
New families are highly encouraged to upload a scanned copy of each of these documents. This can be as simple as a readable picture of the document using your phone. If a scanned copy is not available, these documents can be brought to your child’s school building to be copied.
- Proof of Address: used to prove that the student is living within the Ottumwa School District. Document should have parent name and resident address listed. Acceptable items: utility bill, lease, insurance bill, purchase agreement, etc… (photo accepted)
- Certificate of Birth: provides proof of age of student.
- Immunization Records: these certificates must contain at a minimum the child’s last name, child’s first name, date of birth, name of vaccine(s) administered, date(s) given, and the signature of the physician.
When and how do I pay the fees?
Required fees will be available to pay online through RevTrak during registration and beyond. Optional fees such as yearbooks, band, etc. will be available to select in your RevTrak account. Cash or check is also accepted at each building.
What fees do I need to pay?
All families are asked to pay required fees such as textbook fees. Students whose families meet the income guidelines for free and reduced priced lunch, the Family Investment Program (FIP), or transportation assistance under open enrollment, or who are in foster care are eligible to have their student fees waived or partially waived. Students whose families are experiencing a temporary financial difficulty may be eligible for a temporary waiver of student fees. If you meet any of the guidelines mentioned you can access the fee waiver form HERE. A completed form is required to be on file yearly in order for us to waive fees.
How do I pay for my student’s school lunch?
All students will receive breakfast and lunch meals at no charge during the school year. If your student needs to utilize the income survey for a fee waiver, please contact your school secretary.
Who should I contact if I have questions?
For email: [email protected] email, if you have questions please contact Jessica Williams, District Registrar at 641-684-6559 ext. 78600. or you can contact your school secretary at:
- Douma Elementary; Jenna Hoskins, secretary; 641-684-4668, ext.67510
- Eisenhower Elementary; Roxanne Anderson, secretary; 641-684-5617, ext. 74510
- Evans Middle School; Kara Sertterh, secretary; 641-684-6511, ext. 69510
- Gateway Center; Jennifer Smith, secretary; 641-683-5111, ext. 5265
- Horace Mann Elementary; Sara Buller, secretary; 641-684-4661, ext. 70510
- James Elementary; Kelly Schulz, secretary; 641-684-5411, ext. 71510
- Liberty Elementary; Kim Glosser, secretary; 641-682-4502, ext. 79510
- Ottumwa High School; Trinita Shewry, secretary; 641-683-4444, ext. 77515
- Pickwick Early Childhood Center; Whitney Van Buskirk, secretary; 641-684-7179, ext. 65610
- Wilson Elementary; Salud Leyva, secretary; 641-684-5441, ext. 75510