Welcoming Learners from Preschool - 12th Grade!
The Ottumwa Community School District Welcome Center, located at 325 E. Main St., offers new and returning families a central location to complete the enrollment and registration process. Families are now able to enroll all of their children at one location and have assistance in completing the process, including internet and computer access.
The Welcome Center opened in early December and offers year-round assistance in the downtown location. The staff ensure proper documentation has been received, all records have been requested, set up school transportation, and inform families which school they are assigned. The center also provides parents with information on district and community programs, services, and resources.
Appointments are appreciated but walk-ins are also welcome. The center is open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, contact our district registrar at 641-684-6559 or at [email protected].
New students registration is open year-round. The annual update of information for returning students opens the second Wednesday of July yearly.
Register using your web browser (Chrome, Firefox) or the PowerSchool mobile app. Questions about online registration? Click here for our registration frequently asked questions or the Welcome Center at 641-684-6559.
Download the Mobile App
Download the "PowerSchool" app to complete the annual update from your mobile device. Use the code: QPDD
Click here for Immunization and Screening Requirements.
Students who are at least 3 years old by September 15 are eligible for preschool. If your student attended preschool previously at Pickwick Early Childhood Center, Seton Montessori, or Indian Hills Preschool, your student(s) is considered a returning student. See instructions below. If you have not attended one of the above mentioned preschools, please follow the instructions below for new students.
Students who turn five on or before September 15 are eligible to enroll in kindergarten. If your student attended preschool at Pickwick Early Childhood Center, Seton Montessori, or Indian Hills Preschool, your student(s) is considered a returning student. See instructions below. If you have not attended one of the above mentioned preschools, please follow the instructions below for new students.
2023-2024 RETURNING STUDENTS
A returning student is one who was actively enrolled in Ottumwa Schools on the last day of the previous school year. Forgot your PowerSchool username or password? Use the “Forgot Username or Password” link on the sign-in page of your parent account or get help by clicking HERE.
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR CHILD
- Log into your PowerSchool account (web browser or mobile app) and select your child.
- Click on FORMS (click MORE in the app to locate the FORMS link).
- Click on the name of the first form listed in the ANNUAL STUDENT UPDATE category. Review and update as needed.
- Click SUBMIT on the bottom right of each form when finished.
Do this for each child you are registering.
Click HERE for instructions on how to use Forms.
You can upload documents (or pictures of documents if readable) in your PowerSchool account such as athletic physicals, 9th grade dental screener, fee waiver or household income survey forms. Use the Upload Documents feature on the Documents/Fees form.
A new student registration means the child you are registering is not currently an active student in the Ottumwa Community School District. Active students include those enrolled at Pickwick Early Childhood Center, Seton Montessori, or Indian Hills Preschool.
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR CHILD
- Complete the initial registration form by clicking HERE.
- Once submitted, this form goes to school personnel for approval.
- After it is approved, an email will be sent to you at the email address you provided.
- The email contains the information and instructions you need to set up a PowerSchool account or add the student to your already existing account.
- If you do not receive an email or need assistance, please contact the District Registrar or get help by clicking HERE.
- Sign into your account, click on the name of the student and then click FORMS on the left menu bar to get started. Click HERE for instructions.
- Click on the name of each form in the NEW STUDENT REGISTRATION and ANNUAL STUDENT UPDATE categories to complete the required information and submit.
- Provide the following items:
- Proof of age and legal name (birth certificate or other supporting document)
- Proof of residency (rent agreement, utility bill, etc.)
You can upload documents in your PowerSchool account (pictures of the documents are fine if readable) or submit them to your child’s school. Use the Upload Documents feature on the Supporting Documents/Fees form.
Fees are payable online through Vanco or by cash or check at any school building. .
- All families are asked to pay required fees such as textbook fees.
- Fees not paid for the previous year(s) will show up as a Start of Year (SOY) balance for the current school year.
- Students whose families meet the income guidelines for free and reduced priced lunch, the Family Investment Program (FIP), or transportation assistance under open enrollment, or who are in foster care are eligible to have their student fees waived or partially waived.
- Students whose families are experiencing a temporary financial difficulty may be eligible for a temporary waiver of student fees.
If you meet any of the guidelines mentioned you can access the fee waiver form by clicking HERE. A completed form is required to be on file yearly in order for us to waive fees.
Required fees for 2023-2024 will be available to pay online through Vanco during registration and beyond. Optional fees such as yearbooks, band, etc. will be available to select in your Vanco account. Cash or check is also accepted at each building.
Free and reduced meal applications will not be collected this year as all students will receive breakfast and lunch meals at no charge. If your student needs to utilize the income survey for a fee waiver, please complete form F - Free & Reduced Waiver on your parent PowerSchool account or contact your school secretary.
Open enrollment is when parents residing in one Iowa district enroll their children into another Iowa school district.
- Click HERE for the 2023-2024 open enrollment form. Deadline to submit is March 1 for students in grades 1-12, and September 1 for Pre-Kindergarten (age 5) and Kindergarteners.
- Click HERE for the open enrollment guidelines. Questions? Please contact 641-684-6559.
For families who speak a language other than English, please contact the Welcome Center between August 1-15 for assistance. You can also click on the YouTube video links below. YouTube videos can be translated for closed captioning.
If you need access to the internet:
Wifi is available at several locations throughout Ottumwa. CLICK HERE for a list of options.
Mobile hot spots are available through the Ottumwa Public Library
If you need access to a device:
Schedule a time to use a computer at the Ottumwa Public Library at (641) 682-7563.
Schedule a time to use a computer at your child’s school by contacting the school secretary. If you have students in multiple buildings, contact the secretary at your youngest child’s building (grades 1-12) for assistance.
Telephone Consumer Protection Act
* The Ottumwa Community School District makes robocalls or sends automated texts to student family wireless phones regarding the health and safety of students and faculty, including unexcused absences, weather closures, and incidents of threats or imminent danger to the school, pursuant to the “emergency purpose” exception to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act's consent requirement. The district also uses this form of communication to send non-emergency messaging such as notifications. Parents who do not wish to receive non-emergency messages can opt out by sending a written request to the district's Technology Director at:
- Ottumwa Community Schools, Technology Director, 1112 N. Van Buren, Ottumwa, IA 52501