Camp Invention is being offered to area children entering grades kindergarten through sixth grade this summer through a partnership with the Ottumwa Community School District and the National Inventors Hall of Fame. The camp will be offered at Evans Middle School, July 9-July 13 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and will be directed by Ottumwa Community Schools’ K-5 TAG teacher, Breanna Hinmon.
Camp Invention provides a week long summer enrichment adventure with activities that explore connections between science, technology, engineering and innovation, and sharpen their 21st century skills. A program of the National Inventors Hall of Fame, Camp Invention allows children to experience real-world problem solving, creative thinking, invention, and collaboration. Local, certified educators lead a week of hands-on activities that fuel children’s confidence in their natural ability to dream and create.
During the camp, children will participate in four fun-filled modules each day:
- Mod My Mini Mansion™ - Campers will dream up and design their very own futuristic smart home filled with gadgets, LEDs, technology and innovation! From talking mirrors to toasters that know how to cook their favorite foods, your child will invent and build models of these smart gadgets and gizmos.
- Robotic Pet Vet™ - Animal shelters are reporting that malfunctioning robotic dogs have been popping up all over town. Hurry and tell your young inventor to grab their vet kit because there’s only one cure for these pups – innovation! Throughout this module, campers diagnose puppy problems and design and build dog parks as they hammer out their ideas for the best dog park attraction.
- Optibot™ - Campers will launch into the future with their own Optibot – a small self-driving bot that senses changes in light. Exploring the technology behind transportation, children will design the ultimate, futuristic vehicle that might one day be reality!
- Stick To It™ - Campers will invent something new every day as they explore what it’s like to be a physicist, engineer and entrepreneur. Daily challenges inspire campers to bring their own ideas to the table, think big, persevere and get to the heart of what it means to be an inventor.
Early registration discounts are available. Visit www.campinvention.org or call 800.968.4332 to register for camp.
Here are some links to videos about the curriculum.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ROCCsOdQHQ (Overview)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JUh4a_QalY (Robotic Pet Vet)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyVxOGmKMHE (Optibot)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf0KN_JtIJU (Mod My Mini Mansion)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfoZ56EFUMI (Stick to It)
Camp Convention Flyer - please click here for flyer
Camp Convention Flyer (Spanish) - please click here for flyer