"We are ahead of schedule in every aspect," Superintendent Mike McGrory shared with the Board of Education during Monday's meeting in reference to the $13 million investment in school facilities taking place over the next two years. He credited district maintenance staff for their efforts to complete all summer projects before the start of the school year.
"Our maintenance crew and all of our local contractors are really working hard to help ensure all projects are completed on schedule," said Lindsey Beinhart, Director of Operations and Maintenance.
With a focus on "Being The Best," work continues across the district. "When students and staff return in August, they will see a huge improvement to their teaching and learning space," said Dave Harper, Executive Director of Human Resources and Operations. "These are exciting times in our district."
The list of projects to complete this summer was aggressive. Project updates include:
- Evans - New LED lighting has been installed and work in the gym continues with the recent installation of new basketball backboards.
- Wilson - The chimney has been removed, roof leaks repaired, and painting is complete.
- OHS - Student lockers are being painted and about 30% of the new LED lighting has been installed. The chair lift on the cafeteria steps has been repaired and the weight room renovation is nearing completion.
- James - A new roof has been installed on the building. Classrooms have new carpeting and LED lighting.
- Eisenhower - New flooring and LED lighting has been installed. Painting will begin next week. New concrete sidewalk sections have been installed. The walking trail has also been refreshed.
- Horace Mann - Demolition of the existing chimney is completed and a new roof install. Interior painting and LED lighting has been completed. A new concrete sidewalk on the back of the building has been installed.
- Career Campus - The concrete floor has been polished on the lower level and drywall installation/finishing is in process. The project is currently ahead of schedule.
- Pickwick - This project continues on schedule and will be completed prior to the start of the new school year.
Investing in our facilities is just one part of our Be The Best initiative. Through our efforts in the areas of facilities, safety, state-of-the-art programming, and staffing, we are committed to becoming a destination place for families and to be the best school district in the state. Watch for future updates as well as Back to School events across the district in August.
OHS lockers get a fresh coat of paint.
Construction continues at Pickwick Early Childhood Center.
Exterior work includes updated landscaping at Evans.
Horace Mann receives new LED lighting and a fresh coat of paint.
New basketball standards are part of the gym renovation.